Please read Joona’s class policy before registering. Details include cancellation, materials and supplies, fees and more. This is long, but full of valuable information.
1. Due to limited space and scheduling details, class fees are nonrefundable.
2. If Joona has to cancel or postpone a class for any reason, we will notify you and schedule a makeup class.
3. Make sure you can attend all scheduled dates before you commit to the class.
4. Registration covers one person only. If you would like to work on one piece with a friend or spouse, they will need to register separately.
5. Makeup classes may be scheduled for a $40.00 fee.
6. Payments for all classes and open studio time are made online in advance via PayPal.
Joona Design Playground reserves the right to cancel a class based on insufficient enrollment. We will not hold a class with less than 3 students. You can reschedule, take a credit, or request a refund if the class you registered for is postponed or canceled.
PayPal will send a confirmation of payment. If you use another form of credit through PayPal, you may not receive confirmation. If you are not sure whether your payment was received, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and someone from Joona will respond as quickly as possible
It is critical that the piece you bring to work with is appropriate for the class you are taking.
1. Due to class time and space restrictions, all furniture needs to be pre-approved.
2. Email a photo of your piece to email@example.com, or you can schedule a time to bring your piece by the studio before the first class date for approval.
3. Joona has a limited quantity of chairs and frames available for purchase – most range from $25-75.
Your class fee includes use – during class time only - of all upholstery, sewing and woodworking tools, sewing machines, safety equipment, staples, adhesives, tacks, upholstery/button twine and sewing machine thread.
We minimize waste, so please measure before you cut into any supplies.
Materials that are NOT included in your class fee (unless stated otherwise in the class description):
Student’s own chair, fabric, paint or stain. (Fabric may be purchased through Joona in advance, but is not required).
Joona does not use flame-retardant foam in our studio, so we require that all cushioning and flame barrier be purchased through us. Our pricing is generally very competitive, but we offer an additional 10% discount off retail to our students on latex cushioning material and wool products.
Joona provides the following materials, which students will pay for as utilized:
Latex cushioning material (chemical flame-retardant free), wool felt (our certified CA 117-2013 compliant flame barrier product), wool batting, cotton batting, cotton canvas, burlap, polyester dacron, zippers and pulls, black dust cover, webbing, single and double welt cord, spring tying twine, front edge roll, ply-grip, cardboard tack strip, cardboard strips, chip board, button parts, muslin, trims, or upholstery fabrics.
Because we think it is important to understand the true cost of any project, you will be keeping an inventory of all the type and quantities of materials utilized during class. The balance is due by cash or check before the end of your class session(s). CA sales tax applies to materials purchases.
You may not take materials or tools from Joona home with you between classes. All materials must be used on the premises during class or open studio time. If you want to work at home, you will need to purchase your own tools and materials. Tools kits will be available for purchase during class.
Class sizes are limited. If you have registered for a hands-on class, prepare to work hard.
1. Please wear comfortable clothes and closed-toe shoes. The tear-down process can be quite dirty and dusty, so dress accordingly. You may bring your favorite pair of work gloves and a work apron if you like, but please be sure to label them.
2. Documentation of the upholstery process is very educational: take photos of the way your chair is originally upholstered, through tear-down and as we build it back up and complete the re-cover. It is valuable to see how a piece is constructed, and you may find interesting aspects of your classmates’ projects as well. Please ask for permission before photographing someone else’s work.
3. If you are taking an all-day class, please pack a lunch. Joona provides room-temperature drinking water and a selection of tea. A microwave and small fridge are also available for your use. We will take at least a half-hour break for lunch around 12:30.
4. We start cleanup 15 minutes before the end of class so the studio is ready for the next project.
We look forward to meeting you and helping you learn how to transform your furniture into something, fun, functional, and reflective of you!